Open w/$300 Deposit & get Weekend Pass FREE!

Monday, January 13, 2014

ZJ's Zenzational Race of the Week 1/13/14

Well,

As we all have come to learn, I am somewhat difficult to please when it comes to horse racing. Some of it is pressure as I put my money where my mouth is. In fact, I feel twice the pressure since others pay to put their money on the line with me. Many factors lead to winning and losing at the races, and sometimes a long string of expletives are the only cure when I lose.

So I wanted to start a series which draws out some positives in the sport we love. With winter racing now in full swing, it's sometimes hard to keep your finger on the pulse everywhere. Now, with 'ZJ's Zenzational Race of the Week', I can shine a light on races and performances that impressed me over the last week or so of racing action and share some positive feedback.

Four races left an impression on me last week, let's count them down.

At #4 ~ Baratti ~  Aqueduct Race 2 on 1/10/14 ~

 https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/AQU/2014/1/10/2/race-2-msw-at-aqu-on-1-10-14

This Darley Stud owned three year old burst onto the radar with this electric performance. He is by Medaglia d'Oro by Surf Song by Storm Cat. As you saw on the video, he placed himself on the lead, cruised around the Jamaica oval, and drew off in hand in ultra impressive fashion. He will be one to watch going forward, not on the Derby Trail, but there are plenty of spots for him to sharpen his game with those Grade 1's coming somewhere down the road.

At #3 ~ Drogue ~ Oaklawn Park Race 8 on 1/11/14 ~

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/OP/2014/1/11/8/fifth-season-s

I had no idea who this horse was and was tuning in to watch his much more popular entrymate Cyber Secret. This son of distance loving Victory Gallop went to the front, lead them on a merry chase, and opened up at will, winning by 9 lengths over his stablemate. He just might be a force to reckon with in the handicap division if he is able to repeat performances like that.

At #2 ~ Constitution ~ Gulfstream Park Race 4 on 1/11/14

 http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/race-results?startDate=1%2F11%2F2014&endDate=1%2F11%2F2014&trackLookupId=761&type=MaidenSpecial&statesBred=&searchStateBredPlacers=false

This colt by Tapit was as they say, an International Good Thing. He was no secret. I tabbed this horse on my sheet with the comment "the best unraced horse on the grounds in Florida". That's some big hype and he did not disappoint. It reminded me of a tip I received in the summer of 1992. I was told of the fastest two year old in the world and sat on this info. During the winter of 1993, his name showed up in the PP's at Gulfstream. I was working at my restaurant north of Saratoga with a big smile on my face, waiting to watch and wager. A customer I'd never seen before came into the store talking on his phone. He was telling the other person to go to OTB and make a bet. Curious, as I was also going to make a bet, I inquired about his 'tip'. Low and behold, we were both on the same horse. The horse went of odds on and won for fun. It was the first time I was apart of an International Good Thing. The horses name was Jack Livingston. Fast forward to Saturday, Constitution was scratched a week before so his name was on everyone's tongue and twitter feed. He didn't take an abundance of early money as most Pletcher 'sure things' do, but the money poured in. The gate was sprung and Constitution was left. He broke 6 lengths slow but rushed up and after the first furlong was head and head for the lead, not normally a winning situation. He charged through fast fractions with a well regarded rival on his flank. Under a hand ride the entire way, he pulled away to win in a fast time. A star was born.

At #1 ~ Jockey Matt Rispoli ~

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/GP/2014/1/10/7/race-7-msw-at-gp-on-1-10-14

As I've stated, I'm difficult to impress. This race was an eye opener for me. Jockey Matt Rispoli has been winning in spurts and has already gotten a reputation as being a good turf rider. On Friday 1/10, he made a believer out of me. I had tabbed Ay No Digas as my Free Pick that day for Graham Motion with Rispoli up. I was never expecting to see a performance like this. He rated the German bred off the pace for the first half of the race, and I could see he still had horse. Matt started moving his horse between runners as the favorite was battling it out on the outside of the leaders. Turning for home, Matt made a decision that won this race. He guided Ay No Dagas to the rail where there was not a hole to the naked eye, but Matt made the perfect move. He squeezed between the leader and the rail, was in full flight, and beat the favorite by almost a length. If not for that decision by Rispoli, Ay No Digas would not have won that race. Very well done by a young jockey still learning his craft.

So, there it is, the 1st edition ZJ's Zenzational Race of the Week. I bet you're as surprised as I am that a jockey was the star. But he certainly earned the praise with that ride.

No comments: