Open w/$300 Deposit & get Weekend Pass FREE!

Monday, November 16, 2009

R.I.P. Bobby Frankel

My condolences to the Frankel family for the passing of Mr Frankel.

Mr Frankel was a racing fixture for 40 years. Moments strike everyone differently. I remember a lot of Bobby's horses. One that stands out the most was one I bet against and defeated. It was in the G1 King's Bishop on Travers Day 2003. I was waiting for the winner to race again for months knowing he was pointing to this race. I made a nice score on Valid Video. Great Notion ran 2nd in a very juicy exacta. Mr Frankel's horse making only his 4th or 5th lifetime start finished 3rd - 2004 Horse of the Year Ghostzapper. All three horses were noses apart on the wire. The Zapper went on to greatness under the care of Mr Frankel and his team.

One of the most touching things I ever heard didn't involve his family or his horses - it was his dog. A few years ago when they ran the Breeders' Cup on dirt at Monmouth Park , Bobby stayed home in California to be with his dog who was sick. Extremely touching and I relate to someone who's dog is held in such high regard in his life.

Say hi to my Poppy up in heaven Bobby - he loved the racing game and shared that love with me. Thanks for the memories.

No comments: