Open w/$300 Deposit & get Weekend Pass FREE!

Friday, November 12, 2010

NYRA's new Paddock reporter

Well,

As I've stated many times here over the past few years - I miss Jan Ruston. She was the paddock reporter for the NYRA for many years when that crotchety old man Harvey Pack did the between race report. One day I had enough when that senile old f*ck insulted Jan while on the air about her hat. Well Saratoga is know for ladies wearing hats. Jan had a contract and wore very nice and different hats daily and always looked wonderful. Well that day I approached Jan an asked "how do you let that old bastard talk to you like that?" And that's how our friendship began, and I've wrote stories about us previously.

I always enjoyed Jan's paddock reports because she was a former exercise rider of the great Heavenly Prize among others which led me to believed what she knew what she was looking at as far as horse flesh and relaying to the TV and On Track audience. Jan left the NYRA for family reason a few years ago and I hope and pray her and her family are doing well. We miss you Jan.

Recently the NYRA added their first paddock reporter since Jan left. Maggie Wolfendale is her name and from the first 5 seconds I heard here commentary, I knew she had good eyes. A few years ago I asked Susan Kayne to give me lessons and 'what looks like a winner in the post parade' because Susan Kayne was the best judge of horse flesh I've ever encountered. Susan's horse partnership exploded and our meeting never took place.In my first few days listening to Maggie , I feel very confident her and Susan might be on the same level.

Since Maggie had impressed me so much, I wrote her an email expressing my exuberance in her "eye and the way she sees and describes a horse". She was kind enough to write back and her email explains a lot of how she got her "eye" for horses.

 
John, 
 
Thank you so much for your kind words! 
I am very excited about having this job 
because I don't think there is any other 
racetrack that gives an analysis on the 
physical appearance of the horses. I really
enjoy giving out this information as well 
because I have grown up in horse racing, 
being that my father is a trainer, and I
have been galloping horses since I was 16 
and also have my trainer's license. So I hope 
I am helpful! 
 
Hopefully I will see you at Saratoga next year! 
 
Thanks again, and good luck! 
 
Maggie Wolfendale 


So as you can imagine, Maggie knows a few more things about horses that your average horse player. I look forward to meeting her next August plus enjoying and profiting off her incredible knowledge. If you don't know Maggie - sit back and enjoy the wealth of knowledge she will be sharing with us.   It's well worth your attention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.