Open w/$300 Deposit & get Weekend Pass FREE!

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hometown Kid

From The Blood-Horse

Jockey Mike Straight booted home his first career winner at Tampa Bay Downs on Friday, guiding Ready Ruler (More Than Ready) to a 1 1/4-length score in the 6TH race. Born and raised outside Saratoga Springs, New York, Straight is a graduate of Chris McCarron's North American Racing Academy and the twin brother of Maryland-based rider Matthew Straight. "I've always been interested in riding; I've always gone to the races and I've always wanted to be a jockey," Straight said. "My parents were all for it -- when I was about nine, they bought my brother and me an Equicizer to practice on. It's taken years of dedication and practice and watching races to get here, and I really have to thank Chris McCarron and the school and my parents and brother for helping me out."

No comments: